homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bulting, remodelling costs skyrocketing

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bulting, remodelling costs skyrocketing
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:39:57 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

Who ARE these people? Where in world are getting 200K to REMODEL
a ROOM? This is just beyond my expectations and experience, even
here in the relatively well-to-do RTP area of North Carolina.

Is this way the people on the "coasts" really live?

Not only on the coasts. I saw it in Dallas. Expensive remodeling is standard practice here in the Phoenix-Scottsdale area. Lots of rich people. The practice is especially common in Paradise Valley, which has one-acre minimum, magnificent mountain views, including Camelback Mountain, and superb central location. It is where Barry Goldwater lived. It is where Stevie Nix lives and other names you would recognize. Many of the houses were built in the sixties and seventies. Some, the few still under a million, are bought as tear-downs, for the lot on which to build new mansions.

This is part of America.

tvoivozhd---yup. In any serious (increasingly possible) economic meltdown , these would be the new Okies and their conspicuous consumption neighborhoods the new dust bowl.