homestead - [Homestead] Creationism vs sanity

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Creationism vs sanity
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:49:15 -0500

*ScienceWeek Editorials*

*Creationism vs. Sanity - January 23, 2005 <http://scienceweek.com/editorials.htm#050123>*

*Harvard, Women, and Science - January 19, 2005 <http://scienceweek.com/editorials.htm#050119>*

*January 23, 2005*

*Creationism vs. Sanity

One grows tired of the recurring efforts of inadequately educated religionists to base the teaching of science in schools on biblical passages written during a time when civilization and understanding of the natural world were both primitive.

In a country of nearly 300 million people, there will always be some people who, because of "religious" conviction, believe the Earth is as flat as a pancake, a few thousand years old, and resting on the backs of four giant elephants. Their belief is unfortunate. What is even more unfortunate is teaching our children that such beliefs, because they are "religious", deserve respect.

Creationism and its latest effluvium, intelligent design, are not science, not evidentiary, not even close to science, and do not deserve respect as material to be taught to children in public schools. The idea of imposing one's religious views on others via public education is totally un-American, and the people who promulgate that idea need to be called that -- un-American.

Religionists who accept the work of their God as revealed by science, and who understand that creationism is blasphemy, need to come out into the arena and be heard.

Scientists who devote their lives to science and scientific attitudes and scientific truths also need to come out into the arena and be heard with their strongest voices.

Science teachers who find these creationist crusades obnoxious and potentially damaging to the children they teach also need to come out into the arena in droves and wage the battle of their intellectual lives.

It is time. We are nearly 150 years after Darwin's / Origin of Species/, and it is time for the United States, the foremost scientific enterprise on the planet, to deal firmly with this issue. People are free in the US to practice any particular religion. They are not free to impose that religion on others, and they are certainly not free to force the teaching of their religious beliefs in the public schools.

We call for an end to stickers on textbooks telling children that evolution is only a "theory". We call for an end to mandated teaching of creationism or intelligent design or any other attempt to subvert the public school teaching of science as it is currently understood by the scientific community. We call for all scientists, educators, and thinking Americans to raise their voices in a decisive confrontation against insidious and un-American anti-scientific dogma.

The US Supreme Court owes the American people a unanimous and unambiguous rejection of religionist attacks on science education.

The Editors
ScienceWeek
*

  • [Homestead] Creationism vs sanity, tvoivozhd, 02/05/2005