homestead - Re: [Homestead] No more shoe--leather steak

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No more shoe--leather steak
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:45:32 -0800

Oh for crying out loud. If this stupid country wasn't so fad driven there
wouldn't be any questions like this for our tax dollars to be wasted on
doing studies.

Ask any butcher who had a shop 40 years ago before all the various fad diets
came into being and they'd tell you to order from rancher x, y or z and then
hang the beef for a minimum of 2 weeks before having it cut and wrapped to
your specifications. You consistantly get better steaks from Angus and
Angus crosses (black baldies are a real good cross). Grass fed with grain
in the field for the last few weeks is far better than feed lot steaks.
Stress (fed lots) depletes the calcium. Raising super lean beef because of
diet concerns instead of just limiting the amount is one of the culprits
also.

I'm sure the test will cost a bundle and it will be available but not the
Mad Cow testing. ~~sigh~~ priorities in this country suck!

Lynda