homestead - Re: [Homestead] No perspective in Iraq reporting

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No perspective in Iraq reporting
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:11:45 -0700

/*Editors' Note*: LTC Tim Ryan is Commander, Task Force 2-12 Cavalry, First Cavalry Division in Iraq. He led troops into battle in Fallujah late last year and is now involved in security operations for the upcoming elections. He wrote the following during "down time" after the Fallujah operation. His views are his own./

Phew! If this guy can write this much stuff during down time, he either has way too much down time or he has a big future in journalism.

I think we all know that mainstream media reports the negative stuff more than the positive stuff. Sad to say, readers want the nastiest stuff. As a culture, we are attracted to disaster and find good news ho-hum.