homestead - Re: [Homestead] Want to off an annoying neighbor without feasr of prosecution?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Want to off an annoying neighbor without feasr of prosecution?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:03:20 -0700

Country music is hypothesized to nurture a suicidal mood through its concerns with problems common in the suicidal population, such as marital discord, alcohol abuse, and alienation from work.

What a fun subject! These researchers have way too much time on their hands or there is too much grant money desperately seeking a study, any study, no matter how useless.

Nashville, the country music capital, had a 2002 suicide rate of 15.1 per 100,000. Unemployment is hands-down the strongest national motivator for suicide: New York City, where unemployment and poverty are endemic, but where country music is so-so, is at 18.3 suicides per 100k. Btw, while we're still in the slums of the East, in 2003 our nation's capitol experienced a murder rate of 44.2 per 100,000 population. San Francisco's suicide rate is the highest; read unhappy gay men who kill themselves at several times the national rate of 10.4 per 100k (1999-2000). Those seeking more proof of the insanity of the recent unfortunate presidential vote will find much ammunition on the state suicide map at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/now/jun28/data.html

Suicide rates increase dramatically when widely reported in the media. Apparently our focus is manipulable. Duh. So let's stop talking about suicide. I need all the support I can get.