homestead - Re: [Homestead] Building a healthy house

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Building a healthy house
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:13:15 -0500

So, I'm wondering....
Those on this list who trashed me when I tried to explain about the MCS I
suffer from, who said it was a function of overweight (without knowing what
my weight or height are) and lack of exercise (without asking how much or
if I exercise) and poor diet (without knowing what I eat)..... what do you
have to say about this article?

BTW -- It was John Bower's book, chanced upon in our library, which was the
beginning of my road to recovery. The original edition had a list in the
back with doctors who have dealt with MCS -- at that time, called EI
(Environmental Illness) or Sick Building Syndrome. In that list, I found a
doctor who helped me and my family for years.

>This is a very serious problem---most new houses are so tightly wrapped,
>the inside air is poisonous. You have to have an air-exchange system
>with an electrostatic precipitator to clean incoming fresh air and a
>heat-exchanger to warm it without having t0 expensively re-heat it.

>*washingtonpost.com* <http://www.washingtonpost.com/>
>*Sensitivity Workshop*
>A Retreat in Rural Virginia Thrives on Owners' 'Healthy House' Standards
>
>By Jeff Turrentine
>Washington Post Staff Writer
>Thursday, January 20, 2005; Page H01
>
>If the well-meaning souls at Carter+Burton Architecture weren't sure
>what Bobbie Lively-Diebold meant when she told them she was "extremely
>sensitive" to chemicals, vapors and smells, they learned one day when
>she and her husband came to look over some blueprints.

snip