homestead - [Homestead] Boat topics, some of my favorites

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Boat topics, some of my favorites
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:47:32 -0500

Stuff I didn't include in prior posts on boats---foldable trimarans, the history of Lord Riverdale, Blue Bird of Thorne (Robb design)---beautiful, fast, safe twin-keelers from the 1930's that are still sailing) Added stuff on junk-rigs--best for simple singlehanding without complicated rotating masts, hydraulics or unreliable electric winch gear)

http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/sites2.htm (URL list on boats, 200 Bolger designs out of his 700. Lot of dead links)

http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/boats.html

http://members.aol.com/polysail/HTML/links.htm (important website---polytarp and Tyvek sails)

The Chinese Sailing Rig: Designing and Building Your Own
by Derek Van Loan, Don Haggerty
Where to find it:
Not in the public domain.
Buy it used at Amazon.com: The Chinese Sailing Rig
Review:

I originally bought this because Practical Junk Rig (PJR) by Hasler was out of print, and its price was out of sight. Now this is out of print, too, and in short supply. Still, it's a valuable book, worth getting in its own right. This book tells how to rerig your boat with a differently shaped sail than PJR describes, and the different design goals and shape seem to lead to different results. The emphasis in this book is very practical and hands-on, and the shorter, wider sail it advocates may give better windward performance than PJR's tall, narrow, flat sail. If you're seriously interested in the Chinese rig, I recommend this book, as well as PJR.

http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/02/bobaug02.htm (folding trimarans with rtating sails---fast, stable, pretty pricey)

http://www.geminicatamarans.com/PDF/Practical_Sailor_Telstar.pdf

(Telstar foldable catamaran with tripod mast brace and lowering mechanism)

http://microship.com/resources/multihull-sailboats.html (reasons for multihull over monohull for gunkhole crusing, beaching)

http://www.boatbuilding.com/content/twinkeels/ (Lord Riverdale's Blue Bird of Thorne---first scientifically-designed twin-keel yacht---way to go safely and in comfort in shallow water---if you run aground on a reef, just wait until high tide and motor, sail or winch off---you won't grind through the twin keels, whereas a laid-over deep-keel monohull will puncture quickly on a coral reef.)

http://microship.com/resources/micro-trimaran.html (building with some purchased hull components)

More to come.
Practical Junk Rig: Design, Aerodynamics & Handling
by H. G. Hasler
Where to find it:
Not in the public domain.
Buy it used at Amazon.com: Practical Junk Rig
Buy it new from Amazon.co.uk: Practical Junk Rig The U.S. Amazon doesn't have it yet, but you can get it from the British Amazon. Ordering from Britain seems to be painless, and this is the only way most of us will be able to afford it!
Review:
NEW! Adlard Coles Publishers has finally reprinted this! It's not on sale in the U.S. yet, but you can use the link above to get it from Britain.

This book is the cannonical tome on the practical design and use of modern junk rigs on modern, western hulls. It was writen by Colonel Hasler to explain how to rerig modern boats so that they could be handled entirely from below-decks, with no need to expose the crew to the weather. He sailed his little folkboat Jester with this rig in many trans-Atlantic races, and succeded in his goal of making a safe, easily-handled rig. Somewhat later, the Hills sailed Badger for 20 years with a Hasler-style rig, and praised it highly. This book gives the theory and the practical knowlege you need to understand the junk rig and design your own. Unfortunately, it's out of print, probably permanently, so you will have to either pay a frightening price for an original copy, or go the library and copier route. This book belongs on the shelf of any serious designer, and the shelf of anyone who's serious about junks

  • [Homestead] Boat topics, some of my favorites, tvoivozhd, 01/15/2005