homestead - Re: [Homestead] William F. Buckley on charter schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] William F. Buckley on charter schools
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:49:39 -0800

Huge generalization. There is NO one way to set up a charter school. Each
states laws are different. Most states' charters answer to the state board
of ed, not the local school board. It would appear, as usual, that the
public school folks (William F. Buckley) etc., never learned one of the
basic principals of public school, do your homework!

There have been dozens of charters that have been shut down due to fraud and
misappropriation of funds. And where in the world did he get those numbers
on charters and public schools?

Further, until the government stops messing with the public school system,
Little Johnny never will learn to read. Y'all do know that the reading
levels on books have been raised which means that a child who *supposedly*
reads at a 5th grade level is actually reading at what was, when most of us
went to school, a 3rd grade level.

IF there is going to be a public school system (and it will never go away,
no matter how much some of us may wish it would), then it needs to go back
to small and local control. Charters are a joke and just one more way for
fat cats such as Bill "gambling isn't a sin" Bennett and some of the
scummier members of some political families (Neil ring any bells) to make a
buck off the taxpayer!

Lynda