homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goat Problems

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goat Problems
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:29:11 -0700

At 10:58 AM 1/5/05 -0500, Denise wrote:
>As to butchering, the most important thing is to try to have what you'll
>need ready -- sharp knives! Shoot then cut the throat right then and bleed
>(which also makes sure they are dead and not just hurt). Hang by back
>hocks. After that it is pretty self-explanatory and the first time is the
>hardest. Cut around anus -- be careful with an intact goat's balls. Be
>careful with urine, feces, etc. Mostly just try to keep the carcass clean
>which generally isn't too hard. An extra set of hands can be helpful.
>
>Once it is gutted, depending on weather, hang for a min of three days. It
>needs to go into rigor mortis and back out. We had to kill our calf in
>JULY! this year which was a trip itself and we cut her up into six pieces
>and "hung" them in an empty fridge for 5 days. Hanging is what really makes
>meat edible, and what it is doing is allowing it to rot just a bit (I mean,
>realistically). With chickens you can brine them to let them age which
>improves them. Anyway. . .

Wow. Not only does it sound awful and like a whole lot of work, but to
think of my goat hanging from a tree makes me sad. Maybe it isn't too late
to be a vegetarian.... :-)

>Well, that's some description. John Seymour's books also have decent
>descriptions of jointing a carcass. We've got to do our pigs soon.

Good luck! It's got to be easier than a calf in July, though!

Thanks for the info. Sorry I am such a wimp. I need to either quit
raising animals for meat and realize I am a wimp and simply use them for
the eggs & milk or just get over it. Hum..... Anyway, thanks so much for
all of your help! I appreciate the tips.

Best wishes,
Melody