homestead - [Homestead] In-and-Out...Burglar

  • From: sanrico AT highdesert.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] In-and-Out...Burglar
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:26:32 -0800 (PST)

Gene, Marie, et al...
Now that we've noted some of the places our $$$ is NOT going to, here are a
few
places it IS coming from (besides our pockets). Even if most of us probably
don't
do too much fast food, perhaps some of us do buy underwear:

Amazon.com Loves Republicans?
Attention liberal shoppers: Next year, screw those GOP-loving companies, and
start buying blue
By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Do you care much that greasy ol' Pizza Hut gave tens of thousands in PAC
money to
the GOP last year? How about the fact that Taco Bell stopped pumping out its
happily toxic semirancid meat-like substances just long enough to write a fat
check to the conservative Right? Isn't that weirdly fascinating, in a
depressing
and indigestible sort of way?

Does it matter a whit that, say, Fruit of the Loom underwear gave nearly 100
percent of its corporate donations to tiny- whitey-wearing Republicans, nearly
every one of whom I'm guessing wouldn't know appetizing undergarments from a
flap
of burlap and some string?

Do you think maybe it should? Matter, that is?

This is what happened: there was this list, see, a long and rather surprising
list of major consumer companies in America, and it detailed just how much
money
each company forked over to the respective political parties last year in
political action committee (PAC) donations.

Stop yawning. It gets better.

And the list was a bit revelatory and interesting, as such lists are often
wont
to be, and the companies' fiscal behavior might even surprise you a little,
might
even take you aback and make you reconsider your consumerist options,
especially
the part about how Amazon.com gave 61 percent of its donations to the GOP and
except maybe for the part about how Coors Brewing gave almost every penny of
its
donations to Republicans in a concerted effort to, presumably, stop them icky
Colorado gays from getting married and keep women in their place all while
furthering the cause of skanky undrinkable pisswater beer made for red-blooded
Americans who lack taste buds and hope ....

(Full URL:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2004/12/22/notes122204.DTL&nl=fix)

Get free email at http://www.highdesert.com