homestead - [Homestead] who cares ?

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] who cares ?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:52:06 -0800

OK all you stalwart "Christian" (athletic) supporters of the

__ick in DC - now what ?

excerpt #1 .. receives U.S. funding to help trafficking victims, has an
annual budget of more than $2.6 million.

Excerpt #2 ''If we don't see anyone come out to address the trouble caused to
our organization ... .... we will close ''for good"

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusintl/ap12-10-192633.asp?reg=pacrim&vts=121020042024<http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusintl/ap12-10-192633.asp?reg=pacrim&vts=121020042024>

Women's group in Cambodia closes after armed raid on shelter, 92 people
kidnapped

ASSOCIATED PRESS

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia, Dec. 10 - A shelter for women and girls forced into the
sex trade shut its doors Friday after gunmen kidnapped 92 of its occupants
and made death threats against the staff, the shelter's director said.

Attackers stormed the shelter Wednesday and abducted 84 women and girls
who had been rescued from a <>Phnom Penh brothel the day before, director
Somaly Mam said. An additional eight girls at the shelter were kidnapped. One
resident escaped by hiding in a restroom.
The U.S. State Department strongly condemned the attack.
''This is horrific to us,'' spokesman Adam Ereli said Friday. ''We
also believe that the Cambodia government must thoroughly investigate this
outrageous attack and must bring those to justice responsible.''
The shelter director said she and her staff no longer felt safe
because the gunmen made death threats during the attack, and she would
temporarily close her women's rights organization, Afesip, which handles
various services for women and employs 180 people.
''Unless there is an intervention from the government, we don't know
how we can continue to operate,'' she said.
''If we don't see anyone come out to address the trouble caused to our
organization ... by some mafia group, we will close'' for good, she added.
Afesip, which receives U.S. funding to help trafficking victims, has
an annual budget of more than $2.6 million.
Interior Ministry spokesmen and anti-trafficking officials were not
immediately available Friday for comment.
''If we close for good, it will also be disadvantageous for the
government,'' Somaly Mam said.

On the Net:
Afesip: http://www.afesip.org<http://www.afesip.org/>