homestead - Re: [Homestead] Other legal entities' land

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Other legal entities' land
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 08:19:33 -0800

There are some tree farms and large logging company owned pieces of land
that "rent" goats and sheep from local ranchers to keep down the chance of
wild fires due to brush and high weeds. Some resevoirs "rent" goats and
sheep to keep the weeds and grass down, also.

We ran our sheep in a couple of orchards in Sonoma County. The guy that
owned them was elderly (90) and his family didn't feel it was safe for him
to use the tractor anymore (it was hilly) and the orchards were fenced. The
orchards were a better bet for lambing than our large pastures because he
had 5' fencing that was dog proof.

Ya never know, if you present it to them right they just might "hire" your
critters.

Lynda