homestead - Re: [Homestead] A Homesteading Question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A Homesteading Question
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:48:06 -0800

We are at 2600 feet, 300 feet above the valley floor where most of the local
population is. We are in a combination oak (3 varieties), Doug fir and
Ponderosa pine forest with madrone, mazanita, and a couple of other pines
growing hither and yon. We have two creeks, one year round, one seasonal.
To get out of the valley you have to go over the summit which is at 3660'.

It was 19 degree on the west deck this morning and is about 46 degrees right
now (12:43 p.m.). Yesterday it was in the 60s. Tonight we expect snow down
to 2,000'. Snow or rain until Tuesday. I'm told we have no average winter
and can have a light dusting for a few months and get some days where it
will dump 20 to 30". We get the occasional "wet" snow but not to often.
Summers run between 90 and 110 degrees for the days and cool off down to 50s
and 40s at night.

So, what is your 6B like?

Lynda, who is spending a lot of time learning about a whole new climate,
four seasons and a short growing season!