homestead - Re: [Homestead] A Homesteading Question

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A Homesteading Question
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 11:58:45 -0700

I'm wondering if you folks in Zones 7A and 6B would care to share your favorite fruit trees and which do best in your respective zones.

My preferred part of the world is borderline 6A/6B. Most years we are like 6B. Lots of microclimate influence. Heartwood gardens are on a south-south-easterly facing slope about 20 feet elevation above the stream, with heavy woods on the hills above. Late frosts are common. Best orchard spot would be across the stream, on a north-facing slope.

Many varieties of apples have done well. I got most of my stock from Guy Ames, of Ames Nursery, who I believe sold his nursery in NW Arkansas, or at least has pulled back since his divorce. He may teach at the university there; he used to be on the ATTRA staff. You might still find him there. Highly experienced in fruit trees.

I had two good Bartlett pears before the limbs broke from too much fruit. I have two cherry trees from Stark Bros. One of them didn't grow, I asked for a new one, we did that twice and then they said never again darken our door. Fortunately the last one grew and when I was there in June it looked good but I won't know about fruit until next year. I would have to crank up the old Mac to get varietal names for you.

My biggest challenge has been peaches. If they get past the late frosts they ripen, then get brown rot.

Black walnuts thrive at Heartwood as do butternut, although the latter now have a regional blight that smacks them at maturity. I planted two English walnuts--hopefully the deer have not knocked down their protective fence cages--that have not yet fruited but I have high hopes.

Native fruit includes persimmons, paw paws, blackberries. My favorite fruit flavor is boysenberry and I have a nice row of them on wires. Blueberries do well, also, with attention to pH and plenty of acidic mulch and water.