homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wrong Answer, was Who started this ChristmasThing?

  • From: Barbara Lamar <blamar AT satx.rr.com>
  • To: knat AT sprintmail.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wrong Answer, was Who started this ChristmasThing?
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 10:55:01 -0600

Kathyann Natkie wrote of Christmas:

The common name is of the Mass, but the timing is the birth of the Sun God (who is coming in with the lengthening day and had virgin birth.) A pre-calendar New Year's Party. A time of sharing our food stores in the dark days (very homesteady.)
All fitting within the glorious teachings and lifestories of today's Bible's Christ but Christ's birth was Spring. He is of Spring Equinox. A "lamb" prediction come forth. Christ's values to celebrate, yes. But, Christ's birthday, no.

Because of time constraints I've been limiting myself to reading this list rather than actually participating in the discussions. It's been a choice between doing things and writing about them, and at present it's seemed more useful to do than to write.

In this case, though, I feel moved to write. What a lovely thought, Kathyann, to enjoy "a world where many traditions revel together" ! How refreshing to see such nonjudgmental, loving words!

Barbara