homestead - Re: [Homestead] SEF

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SEF
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:12:30 -0500

We have only to look at the circumstances of our birth.
If yo' mama is a 4th generation welfare recipient you may do very well with
a huge amount of good fortune, but your chances are immensely improved if
yo' mama and grandmama and great-grandmama went to college --for all kinds
of reasons). Me, I chose <fe> to incarnate in an educated family.

Marie, thinking over the people I know ( far to many ) I'd have to opine that it is a wash. I know a number of people who look at their welfare mama and grandmama and say "Not for me!" And just as many young people from educated, well off families who have no idea what an episode of hardscrabble is, nor do they have its benefits.

I'd also have to raise an eyebrow at 'went to college' being equated with 'educated'. My grandfather and father are (was/is) the most educated men I've known, and neither went to college.

Yes, your ODDS are better if you are from an educated family. But in the end it is still your choice. The choice is more obvious and easier for some because of their circumstances, but available to all. Just as the choice to be a wastrel is available to all.

James