homestead - Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (November 2004)

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (November 2004)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:27:48 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: Bill Jones<mailto:billj AT harborside.com>
(snip)
> It's great to be able to make the computer actually do something. It's
> funny how we've gone from having computers that empowered the user to write
> their own programs, to computers that foster helplessness and
monotony.

Depends on whether one *wants* the computer
to "do something"

or if one wants to do something

*on the computer*.

If it's the latter, then one must decide
whether whatever is going to be text or graphics ...
same old, same old - - yes/no-on/off-either/or ...
It's when one is determined to do *both* that
"trouble" arises. Sometimes accompanied by
necessity, that mother-of-invention ... <g>

> Until I got this compiler I really can't say I used my computer as much
> more than a typewriter and picture viewer.

And how many computer *users* *need* more
than a picture-viewing typewriter ?

  • Re: [Homestead] Notes From the Farm (November 2004), Toni Hawryluk, 12/01/2004