homestead - Re: [Homestead] supply and demand ?

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] supply and demand ?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:00:44 -0500

I miss the free milk deliveries.

The doctor's home visits. We currently have one doctor advertising that he
will do only home visit. However, I wouldn't trust him to enter my home.

For years, we had free dental checkups... only paid if something needed to
be done, and it rarely did.

I miss restaurants with room to maneuver and being able to pull a chair up
to a table instead of having it screwed down or molded into shape.

In the South, you could order hot apple pie with a slice of cheese and a
dollop of vanilla ice cream on top for the same price as a "plain" piece of
pie.

In Texas, you could "plug" your watermelons and cantelope before buying
them to make sure you got a good one. I remember one summer in the 1950s
when watermelons went for 5 cents apiece. That was at the end of the
summer. Earlier, they had cost 25 cents.

Free or nearly so (10 cents) city swimming pools.