homestead - Re: [Homestead] Another Universal protector against garden predators

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Another Universal protector against garden predators
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:48:24 -0700

Before the good people of Zanoni built that huge Rat-Heaver which launched Gene on a real-estate career in Phoenix, he had a double-fence four-foot "moat" surrounding his garden at Heartwood., and two canine slaves named Dax and Benny roaming inside. Deer don't like to jump a double fence or get in a dog-duel. In addition to Dax and Benny, chickens roamed inside the double fence, scarfing up any bug that dared try to cross the moat.

The chicken moat was six feet high.

Dax and Benny preclude fencing needs.

Some guys just thrive on making things more complicated than need be. In addition to no capital outlay, no labor time or effort and no maintenance, the no-fence option allows the natural landscape to be enjoyed without obstruction. Something there is in me that does not like fences. I strive for beauty, truth, freedom and living a simple life. If that makes me a simpleton, so be it.