homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mad cow disease

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mad cow disease
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 09:00:39 -0700

http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/articles/Apr04_v6_n4/Apr04_v6_n4_1.cfm

For those who didn't take the time to read the article, this excerpt is important to know:

"Of course, Alzheimer's is no joke, but a cruel and fatal disease that essentially dissolves the brain, causing victims literally to lose their minds. Alzheimer's has been surging in America over the past two decades: It's now registered as the eighth leading cause of death, afflicting some four million of our people.
But there's one aspect of this that the economic and political powers that be in our country don't want scientists discussing in public. Autopsy studies done at Yale and elsewhere show that 20 percent of people diagnosed with Alzheimer's were misdiagnosed: They actually had another brain-wasting disease called Creutzfeldt- Jakob Disease (CJD), and thousands of these cases might well be a variant of CJD caused by Mad Cow infected meat that the victims had eaten years earlier.
Yes, this means that Mad Cow Disease in humans, which the beef industry . . . ."

Beyond the obvious big food business and therefore political implications, there is the issue of what we citizens want our government to do for us to cope with life's dangers. We've just made a national choice in that regard. Life is imperfect; we all take risks each day. It is important that we make our decisions based on information we deem valid. Make your own study, draw your own conclusions, choose your own diet.