homestead - [Homestead] don't do as I do, do as I say ...

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] don't do as I do, do as I say ...
  • Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 11:59:26 -0800

----- Original Message -----

From: Gene GeRue<mailto:genegerue AT ruralize.com>

To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org<mailto:homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>

Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 8:35 AM

Subject: [Homestead] View on religion and politics

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/08/opinion/08hart.html?oref=login<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/08/opinion/08hart.html?oref=login>

OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
When the Personal Shouldn't Be Political
By GARY HART

Published: November 8, 2004

Kittredge, Colo. - (snip)

> The Nazarene Church abhorred drinking, smoking, dancing, movies and female
adornment,

.... (but OK for men ??)

> In doctrine and practice, it was much more evangelical than fundamentalist.

..... say *what* ???

(snip)

> that America is a secular, not a theocratic, republic.

...."was", Bunkie, *was* ..

(snip)
> There is a great difference between Cotton Mather and John Wesley.

...where ? both were staunch supporters of control through religion.

(snip) Neither (none of) Washington, Adams, Madison nor Jefferson saw America
as the world's avenging angel. Any notion of going abroad seeking demons to
destroy concerned them above all else. Mr. Bush's venture into crusaderism
frightened not only Muslims, it also frightened a very large number of
Americans with a sense of their own history.

.... Yeah. Right. And allowed the __it to steal another election.

(snip) people around the world now see America as arrogant, self-righteous
and superior.

.... arrogant and self-righteous, yes, "superior" ? to what ? a pile of oops ?

> Gary Hart, the former Democratic senator (snip)

Hmmm .. Gary ... is the one who had such a yen for ?? was it a fawn/Fawn ?

  • [Homestead] don't do as I do, do as I say ..., Toni Hawryluk, 11/08/2004