homestead - RE: [Homestead] What's going on with this list?

  • From: "WF Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] What's going on with this list?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 20:02:46 -0500

Thanks for the snapshot from your "homestead", Lynn.

Our day to day life here has been taken over by the puppy we brought home
saturday. He's a yellow lab, just over six weeks old. Since saturday I have
been his mother and all eight of his brothers and sisters rolled into one.
Our children are all teenagers and time had erased the memory of how needy
yunguns can be. My wife is not a dog person and of course the kids are busy
as all get out.

A little over a year ago I lost my beloved dalmation of 13 yrs, Shiner, and
it took 'til now to consider a successor. Strange how a good dog can have
that effect- my nose burns and eyes tear up even still when I think of his
loyalty and companionship.

Anyway, I am blessed to be able to take this pup to work with me and I
suppose for a while I just won't go anywhere I can't bring him along.

We have had sightings of wildcats/bobcats in our area of South Carolina in
the last 2 years. I don't have any suggestions for you on saving your stock.
A 50lb turkey should have held that cat over for a few days! (Coyotes
wouldn't worry about a fox, and I'm surprised they'd give pause to a cat).
Cats are much more efficient predators than what we usually encounter. Maybe
you need a good dog, too.

So far, the two indoor/outdoor cats are doing their best to act like they're
ignoring the pup and the one outside cat doesn't hang around enough to catch
him on his potty breaks. Pup and I haven't been able to get close enough to
the ducks to introduce them yet, but we will. A neighbors dog has killed a
few since Shiner died, and we have to put a stop to that.

Pups name is Tater, and we plan to keep him.

Warren
---