homestead - [Homestead] The election procedure in backwoods Virginia

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] The election procedure in backwoods Virginia
  • Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:40:38 -0800

Gene GeRue wrote:

I'm going right now to cast my vote, and no matter who you are voting for I hope this time we have a peaceful and dignified election worthy of the ideals of this country.

I have just returned from voting. I asked the guy collecting the votes about the strength of the turnout. He said they have collected as many votes in the first three hours as they did the entire twelve hours of the last election. I like that a lot. No matter how this turns out, it is important that the American people make the big decision, not lawyers and judges. A huge turnout will validate the result, no matter the charges that will likely be made by both parties.

tvoivozhd---I was almost the first in line, wheelchair and all. Our voting precinct (in the local volunteer fire station) is decent, no shenanigans there ever---and NO ONE other than voting officials are allowed to disrupt voting procedures in Virginia. One of the officials there offered to put the electronic voting machine in my lap if I couldn't stand up long enough. Wasn't necessary, and the machine was easy to use. I feel queasy about no paper trail or possibility of one---very easy to corrupt an electronic voting device to give wrong answers.

A couple of good changes to vote upon, other than candidates---one to provide for succession if the Richmond State Government is knocked off by any guerrilla device, the other prevents last-minute gerrymandering, by requiring candidates to be elected from last year's election districts, not a new one they have just forced through to guarantee the election of their candidate.

.

My youngest daughter in wee morning hours drove all the way down from Philadelphia to vote where she was registered in Virginia Beach. She didn't have time to re-register in Pennsylvania before or after she sold her house in Virginia Beach. Will visit some friends and drive back to Philadelphia tomorrow. Everyone in my family always vote, including the boys above the $200,000 income bracket---and every one of them against the incumbent. None are registered Republicans or Democrats, and wouldn't buy the predigested spin and deception in any event---always vote for the lesser of two weevils. Nader is a lost cause in spite of his fine ideas on decorporatizing of American Government---will not do what is practical by horse-trading his support to one candidate or the other to get half a loaf. I'd support the Green Party for similar reasons, but not vote for it for the same reasons---a splinter party going for the whole loaf will forever be without influence in what is and, apart from a huge national crisis, will remain a two-party system---neitherparty is going to go for a representational election system that gives any power to minorities denied it in a winner-take-all system.