homestead - Re: [Homestead] Flatbreads, using whatever grain is at hand

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Flatbreads, using whatever grain is at hand
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:34:57 -0500

Yeah, yeast-raised breads have their place (Russian Black Bread at the
very top), but the K.I.S.S. principle is best exhibited in making flatbreads, by whatever name they are called locally---chipatis, tortillas, tandooris, bannocks. Find for rolling inside whatever good-tasting ingredients you have on the kitchen shelf or in the refrigerator. How about some refried beans, chopped onions, chopped pork sausage, and some finely cut lettuce.

And don't forget quick breads, raised with soda. Cornbread is staple for natives of this area. One grandparent did that with wheat. And of course, pancakes and corncakes are the same thing (& if made out of whole grains are good for health).

And one of my favorite things about Pearl Buck's _The Good Earth_ is the protagonist remembering his humble days being content, no, fulfilled, to roll a piece of flat bread (wheat I believe he specified) around a stalk of green garlic. Mmmm.

Denise