homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to Make A Million Bucks From The Pronouncements Of Environmentalists

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to Make A Million Bucks From The Pronouncements Of Environmentalists
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:52:53 -0700

Thanks so much for going to this effort. "Crescent Bloom" is a website where they're selling a book called "The Compleat Botanica" but no plants or seed. I've held the greatest hope for San Marcos, but as of now they're out of stock. Sheffield's looks good, but seeds require stratification and scarification, they say. Lotusland sounds like a wonderful place to visit, but not really commercial. I found this plant under the name "Toona sinensis" at Cistus Nursery in Oregon, even, but it's the same story: out of stock. River Rock Nursery (also in Oregon) says they're having trouble propagating their cuttings. Still searching for a plant...

Maybe you can help solve the black mustard mystery (Brassica nigra). Southern Exposure was supposed to have black mustard, but when I ordered it, it was actually brown. Same thing with Richter's. I notice that now both seed companies have removed it from their catalogs, and now black mustard is extinct commerically in the U. S. Even the mustard seed available for Indian cookery in shops is all brown. All this coincides with the rise of commercial medicinal sources galore of "black mustard extract" and the concurrent denunciation of black mustard as a non-native invasive (in the Midwest, as I recall).

Bill
S. Oregon coast

Tvoivozhd wrote:

tvoivozhd---here's some domestic cedrella sources.

http://www.crescentbloom.com/Plants/Specimen/CE/Cedrela%20sinensis.htm (source of cedrela sinensis)

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1554 (San Marcus Growers, another source)

Sheffield's Seed Co., Inc. 269 Auburn Road, Route 34, Locke, New York 13092 U.S.A.
Fax: (315) 497-1059 Phone: (315) 497-1058 EMail: seed AT sheffields.com Web: www.sheffields.com (Sheffields sells cedrella seeds)

http://www.lotusland.org/catalogaz/cd.html (Lotusland at Santa Barbara, California raises cedrela and could either provide seed, seeklings or advice where to buy them)

Cedrela sinensis , Chinese cedrela ,zone= 5 , sow @ 70ºF

Cedrela sinensis Raintree� fast growing deciduous tree is beatiful and easyto grow. Called "stir fry" tree becaue you can pick the new leaves, which are tender and have the flavor of leeks and use them in delicious stir fries, salads or other dishes. Any time during the growing season you want more tender leaves, prune a branch back and it will resprout new tender pinkish leaves. The upright branching tree with attractive gray peeling bark, will grow 40' tall but can be ket much smaller through pruning. Enjoy hanging clusters of fragrant white flowers each Spring. Fall leaf color is a golden yellow. The wood, similar to cedar, repels insects and is used to make cabinets.