homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to Make A Million Bucks From The Pronouncements Of Environmentalists

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to Make A Million Bucks From The Pronouncements Of Environmentalists
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:59:46 -0700

Bill Jones wrote:

There's one permaculture plant we still need to get. Cedrela sinensis was sold for years under the name
"Chop Suey Tree" by Raintree Nursery and now they've discontinued it. It's also called the Chinese Toon.

I can't wait to try Chinese frittata made with lots of minced young Cedrela leaves and a dash of soy.

It's been branded a "non-native invasive" by fanatics. Actually it has a sparse canopy that wouldn't inhibit
much of anything from growing underneath. It would never survive in a dense forest of fir trees, nor on dry
open ground (here anyway). But I have a perfect spot where it's both sunny and wet where it would
contast beautifully with the bamboos.

I can't find this plant anywhere now. The plot thickens. There's a prominent article online about a study
showing that C. sinensis has a strong inhibitory effect on lung cancer cells. I find it interesting that there's
been a concerted effort to eradicate this delicious ornamental with anti-cancer properties, just as this study
emerged.

At this point I've become rather militant about my right to grow nettle (the most useful spring green of all),
Acacia dealbata (wintertime source of honey and pollen, seed crop, and compost source), Geum urbanum
(perennial greens that are always available), etc. I'm sick of hearing from ignorants who don't understand
that every cleared square inch was already covered in a non-native invasive: tall grass, buttercups, and
Himalayan blackberry. If buttercups can somehow grow right next to my new beds, they WILL succeed in
ruining them, and the only defense I've found is Geum. If only my non-native walnuts can beat back those
berry briars, I won't ask what continent they're from.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

tvoivozhd---here's some domestic cedrella sources.

http://www.crescentbloom.com/Plants/Specimen/CE/Cedrela%20sinensis.htm (source of cedrela sinensis)

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=1554 (San Marcus Growers, another source)

Sheffield's Seed Co., Inc. 269 Auburn Road, Route 34, Locke, New York 13092 U.S.A.
Fax: (315) 497-1059 Phone: (315) 497-1058 EMail: seed AT sheffields.com Web: www.sheffields.com (Sheffields sells cedrella seeds)

http://www.lotusland.org/catalogaz/cd.html (Lotusland at Santa Barbara, California raises cedrela and could either provide seed, seeklings or advice where to buy them)

Cedrela sinensis , Chinese cedrela ,zone= 5 , sow @ 70ºF

Cedrela sinensis Raintree� fast growing deciduous tree is beatiful and easyto grow. Called "stir fry" tree becaue you can pick the new leaves, which are tender and have the flavor of leeks and use them in delicious stir fries, salads or other dishes. Any time during the growing season you want more tender leaves, prune a branch back and it will resprout new tender pinkish leaves. The upright branching tree with attractive gray peeling bark, will grow 40' tall but can be ket much smaller through pruning. Enjoy hanging clusters of fragrant white flowers each Spring. Fall leaf color is a golden yellow. The wood, similar to cedar, repels insects and is used to make cabinets.