homestead - [Homestead] A-yup - it's really true :

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] A-yup - it's really true :
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:25:54 -0700

Just because people can read does *not* mean they can think ....
From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:25:54 -0700

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:59:03 -0700
To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: The Choice

>The lies begin in the second sentence. All the data I've seen indicates
>that liberal groups have far outspent the other side in their efforts to
>trash the President.

Alas, "data" is not what it used to be. We must all now more than ever
before factor in the source. Even those purporting to be independent or
nonpartisan arouse my skepticism. I figure everyone is biased. The
challenge is to get enough info from a vast number of sources from all
arenas and then to use common sense, which it seems to me, is in limited
supply these days. I check 21 newspapers around the country and around the
world each day, ranging from far-left to far-right. Even after that I
remain skeptical until truth is revealed in some official, unquestionable
way. And that, too, is tough because so many members of commissions and
committees are admittedly biased.

As for dollars spent in this presidential campaign, as with so much today,
it again depends on the source. Bush had a huge lead in campaign funds
early on, so big that I figured he would buy the election. That the Kerry
campaign managed to catch up was a sign of competent organization and
motivated givers.

As for trash talk, from my perspective, Cheney is the guy with the
consistently trashiest mouth. He just plain lies. For instance, he has
repeated the lie about a direct connection between Al Queda and Saddam so
many times that a large percentage of voters believe it to be a fact. Karl
Rove is arguably the dirtiest campaign strategist in this campaign. Rove
and Bush egregiously slandered McCain in South Carolina. They questioned
the patriotism of legless Vietnam veteran Max Cleland in a 2002 Senate
race. Talking trash is too gentle a phrase; that is simply gutter dirty.
Democrats have been accused of not meeting the attacks adequately. It
appears that Clinton finally convinced Kerry to give as good as he got.

>I'm truly sorry that you guys nominated an admitted war criminal just
>because he was from a state near New Hampshire. I really
>would have liked to have a different president.

You lost me on that one. While Bush and Kerry's military records have both
been used and abused by partisans, this is the first I have ever seen the
words "admitted war criminal" used in regard to Kerry. Your proof, please.