homestead - Re: [Homestead] Electoral College Nonsense

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Electoral College Nonsense
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:46:21 -0700

clanSkeen wrote:

Tvo forwards (without comment, I might add):

You matter, but your vote might not

Published on: 10/06/04

As much as we Americans like to brag about our democracy, it's still a
work in progress.

Cynthia Tucker is plenty intelligent to know better than this, and so is
Tvo. Our system of government is NOT a democracy, it never has been and the
gods willing it never will be. It is representative republic. The original
schemata of the Union was for the several states to operate as sovereign
entities with the federal government ONLY addressing those things of a scope
to large for the individual states to address. Originally the president was
not to be elected in a general election but rather appointed by the senate,
every state being represented there equally.

tvoivozhd---yeah, appointed by the Senate---the rich and powerful didn't want the peasants voting on a President---still don't, for that ,matter.

If the president were elected by popular vote, the particular needs of
individual states would be completely ignored in the election and
administration. My own state with a little less than five million people
would never see a presidential candidate darken our borders. The candidates
would prostitute themselves to California, New York, Florida, and a few
other states and ignore the rest of the country since we'd play only a minor
role in elections.

James

tvoivozhd---individual states ARE ignored if either party considers them "safe"., regardless of SIZE. The only representation small states really have is that ALL states, large or small, have TWO senators. Except for a token show-up, you won't ever see a presidential candidate darken your borders unless the vote is in doubt in your state---and a tiny state is likely to receive short-shrift anyway. The candidates still prostitute themselves to big states where the outcome is in doubt---winner-take-all, remember.