homestead - [Homestead] Patriotism and Pseudo-Patriotism

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Patriotism and Pseudo-Patriotism
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:41:48 -0700

Adlai Stevenson was probably the last intelligent person to make a run at the Presidency. The others spend all their time whipping voters into a frenzy to keep them from a serious consideration of real issues which have heavy impact on their lives and fortunes.

"What do we mean by patriotism in the context of our times? I venture to suggest that what we mean is a sense of national responsibility ... a patriotism which is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." - Adlai E. Stevenson <http://www.bartleby.com/66/57/56457.html>