homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Usury Business, How To Avoid Going To Jail

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Usury Business, How To Avoid Going To Jail
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:51:32 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Now, Lisa, I hope you know that my comments are about the huge banking interests, not the you's and me's of the business world. I have felt good for 35 years about my roles in helping people find and acquire the homes of their dreams.

Gene, I knew you didn't mean me personally. I meant to add some sort of disclaimer, then got on my soapbox, fired off my message and forgot until I saw yours. Sorry about that. There are so many good people working in the industry overall who mean well and try hard to help consumers, I think I'd prefer if we could avoid stereotypes. Yet I realize in that post I stereotyped the average American as being highly in debt and a vigorous consumer (I didn't include the list--thank heavens). I may be a pollyanna or an ostrich, but I believe it's just a few bad apples in the lending industry. I don't like most of the new programs lenders provide, but consumers are using and requesting them. By refusing to do them, I'm phasing myself out of the business. You can even get interest only adjustable loans from brand name lenders. Ultimately, we need better consumer education and it must begin in high school (or perhaps younger). Maybe we can raise the next generation to abhor debt. I'm working on it with my sons. One can hope. On a good day I'm filled with hope, on a bad day I fret about the election and nibble on dark chocolate.
Peace,

Lisa