homestead - Re: [Homestead] Baby chicks arrived

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Baby chicks arrived
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:51:23 -0400

> Today we picked up a shipment of baby chicks (hens only!) from Murray
> McMurray.

We have a grand assortment of types of chickens but keep only Araucana
roosters (and only a few, like 1 for 10 hens or so). This year we incubated
instead of ordering with good success. But what I wanted to say, besides
congrats and enjoy, was that we've never bought or ordered "pullets" that
didn't include some roosters. And same with an order of roosters several
years ago. But 100 roosters only included 2 hens. Most pullet orders have
included 10 to 20% roosters. So you may have some good eating anyway.

Denise