homestead - Re: [Homestead] Baby chicks arrived

  • From: Lisa Perry <lkvp AT floydva.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Baby chicks arrived
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:35:44 -0400

We've had a broody hen with chicks this summer and last, but darn it if the only ones to survive were the roosters. We gave away 3 and thought we were okay, but we have learned (and will not repeat) the lesson of what happens to several hens with two or three roosters about (not to mention to the humans living in the farmhouse who have listened to more than one rooster crow at 5:00 am) and we've corrected the problem. Today we picked up a shipment of baby chicks (hens only!) from Murray McMurray. We chose a wide assortment including araucana's (sp?), brown egg layers and even added two white egg layers to or flock. We split the order of 25 chicks with a neighbor, so MMM gave us an extra exotic chick with the order instead of the usual one. That was a nice bonus we weren't expecting. We're taking care of the baby chicks for the neighbor friend for the first couple of weeks--so we get to keep both exotic chicks and my boys are so thrilled with the new chicks and the possibility of what the exotics will turn out to be--you'd think today was their birthdays and Christmas all rolled into one. Today is a great day.

Lisa in Floyd County, VA