gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Is the GWL working?

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "gardendesign" <kirk6211@ptd.net>
  • To: "'gardenwriters-on-gardening'" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Is the GWL working?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:01:37 -0400

Send a note to Phyllis Gricus.  She's in the book.  We just had a really great Region II meeting in the Pitt/Carnegie Mellon area.  Phipps put on a really great tour for us.  The new addition and planned further expansion is a terrific story and impressive architecture.  They had a Frabel glass exhibit installed during our visit that was outstanding.  We went next to the Hunt Botanic Library.  They have rotating traveling shows and one of the world's premiere collection of "horticultural" books and manuscripts.  The director/head curator gave us a fascinating lecture/tour.  She pulled out numerous primo examples from the collection including an original Linneaus and an herbal from 1462 (?) at the dawn of movable type.

We toured the Rodef biblical garden and then an absolutely pristine private garden.  Phyllis can certainly put you in touch with the owner who was very erudite and had just returned from South America.

The night before we were hosted to a unique tour of the proposed new Pittsburgh Arboretum/Botanic Garden.  By next year they would have completed the coal stripping process that's getting underway and may actually be in the construction phase.  It's an incredible story and will create the first ever green space from brown fields.  All of the Federal Green agencies are looking at it as a pilot project for all that they are trying to do.

Kirk