gwl-g - [gwl-g] Freebies and TV spots

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Freebies and TV spots
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:49:26 -0400

I did a 3 minute TV spot for our local NBC affiliate for five years. I produced it as well as "starred" in each segment. THe station sent me a shooter ( a camera man.) The first 3 I did for free and then I asked to be paid. I was able to get $125 per segment, if the segment aired. There were times when the station lost the tapes. Bottom line - it was a heck of a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I certainly would give it a shot to see if works for you. The monetary benefits will depend on your market and how well you market yourself. You will have to increase your rates and see of they fly.

As far as freebies for non-profits, I do free programs for my local library and a group that is is near and dear to my heart. I donate review copies to the library. A lot depends on your income stream. If you make big bucks from books, discounted or free programs may be worth you while. If not, you have to decide if it's worth giving away your time.

Nancy Szerlag
Columnist for Detroit News
szerlag@earthlink.net
Check blog at www.gardeneryardener.blogspot.com

  • [gwl-g] Freebies and TV spots, Nancy Szerlag, 05/22/2009