gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Corn Gluten

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Hamptongar@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Corn Gluten
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:55:30 EDT

Just a thought on the corn gluten...I may have picked this up on this list or at a seminar...yes, corn gluten is touted by most as being organic and in many cases it's advertised as such...but isn't.  In order for corn gluten to be organic it would have to come from a corn crop that was grown organically.  While I don't know for certain I have my doubts if much of the gluten that's used for weed suppression is in fact from organic corn or even better from certified organic corn.

This is probably only an issue for purists...which I am not.  Nonetheless, I think our readers should be aware that while natural, corn gluten may not be organic in the sense that it is derived from corn that has been certified as organic.

Andrew Messinger
The Hampton Gardener

The Hampton Gardener is a Registered Trade Mark
(Published every Thursday in the Southampton Press, The Press and the Easthampton Press)