gwl-g - [gwl-g] Corn Gluten

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Corn Gluten
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:46:52 -0400

Good stuff C.L.

My son-in-law, a certified grass crazy, follows a modification of Jeff Ball's recommendations for a perfect lawn and has developed just that.
It took him a couple of years but the results are amazing. He uses corn gluten when the forsythia blooms and spreads Milorganite at half the recommended rate three times during the growing season. The mulching lawn mower is set at 3-inches in height. The few stray pop- ups are hand dug.

I visited yesterday and there was not a weed in sight.

Regarding the Corn Gluten, he probably lucked out with the weather conditions in the beginning and now the tall grass keeps the weeds seeds in the dark. But there is no doubt his blue grass loves that slow release nitrogen.

Nancy Szerlag
Columnist for Detroit News
szerlag@earthlink.net
Check blog at www.gardeneryardener.blogspot.com

  • [gwl-g] Corn Gluten, Nancy Szerlag, 05/06/2009