gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] gwl-g Digest, Vol 48, Issue 3

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Mary Henry <mshen1@mac.com>
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] gwl-g Digest, Vol 48, Issue 3
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:22:04 -0700

Nancy,

I've never tried it with roses, but I have had a great deal of experience with potting on water-rooted houseplant cuttings. I keep many things in colored glass bottles on the windowsill in winter - a practice learned from my beloved mother-in-law. In spring when many have lots of roots, I pot them in a good medium for the plant, water them thoroughly and stand the pot in a saucer kept filled with water at all times for about two weeks. During that time, the plants develop normal soil roots, but have the available water to keep the soil moist enough for the water roots to sustain the plant while this happens. I've never lost one. However, I remind you, they weren't roses. Most were not even woody plants, but it might well work.

Mary Henry
retired horticulturist gardening in WA state