gwl-g - [gwl-g] Early Bird Special to Portland

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nancy Szerlag <szerlag@earthlink.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Early Bird Special to Portland
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:04:38 -0400

Just to let you know I don't always put things off until there is a crisis. I made my flight reservations to
Portland for the GWA Symposium yesterday. Round trip, non-stop on NWA $365. I expected to pay $600 or more. I wanted a non-stop in
hopes of avoiding a cancellation. It's the only non stop and leaves early AM so unless the airline shuts down I should be in good shape. When I traveled to Paris/London last month United cancelled my connecting
flight to DC and I would have had to miss two days of the trip had I not happened to check the flight the night before,
called the airline and cried. They rebooked me on Luftansa and the layover in Dusseldorf was 6 hours. The good news
was the drinks were free and the planes were new. Two other gals on our trip had the same thing happen to them at St. Louis - different airline. They
found out about the debacle when they arrived at the airport.

Point is if you know you are going to go book your flight now. I think you will save big bucks and lots of frustration. Also
check your flight status on line a minimum of 24 hours before you leave for the airport. I also spent $15 on flight insurance just in case North West
craps out. They don't call North West, North Worst for nothing.

Nancy Szerlag
Columnist for Detroit News
szerlag@earthlink.net
Check blog at www.gardeneryardener.blogspot.com

  • [gwl-g] Early Bird Special to Portland, Nancy Szerlag, 06/22/2008