gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Slug control

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Anna <ingreab@comcast.net>
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org, gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Slug control
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:28:15 -0700

Many years ago, when I had a vegetable garden that I was much attached to, I controlled the slugs with home made beer traps: I used yogurt containers (larger than the cup size), cut holes in them for the slugs to enter, and filled (about two to three inches worth) with beer) covered them, and buried them so the holes were above ground, and the cats and other wild life could not tip them. It seems the slugs liked the beer that came in the most expensive and decorative beer containers - I liked the glass ones with attached stoppers - they could be cleaned out and used to store dry herbs, spices, etc. I don't like the taste of beer, and didn't want to throw away good wine for homicidal experiments. I gave up the vegetable garden when my knee and back would not cooperate to get rid of the morning glory for which I never found a good remedy, other than pulling out the root runs.

  • Re: [gwl-g] Slug control, Anna, 06/30/2007