gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Colored Cotton

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Ron Whitehurst <bugnet@rinconvitova.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Colored Cotton
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 18:32:23 -0800

Hello Sheri,

Cotton needs a lot of heat to develop flowers and then fiber. You could probably get flowers but not much fiber in Indiana. I talked to Sally Fox about growing some here in Ventura, 3 miles from ocean, and she thot I would have problems here, producing fiber. The cotton flowers are lovely and the plants interesting, so worth it for the experience. She sold me a small packet of mixed seed several years ago.

Remnants of Aztec fiber and weavings indicate they had more colors than we do now... More colors are hiding in the genetics for patient plant breeders to bring out.

Ron

Sheri Ann Richerson wrote:

Does anyone know where to locate colored cotton seeds? I can find green and brown but would really like the red, purples, etc.

  • Re: [gwl-g] Colored Cotton, Tom Ogren, 01/01/2007
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [gwl-g] Colored Cotton, Ron Whitehurst, 01/02/2007