gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Newbie & Compost

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Newbie & Compost
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 04:50:41 -0400

Ruth, while composting is basically simple, there are some 'rules'
you need to follow to get finished compost and not a slimy mess.
Check out the following sites:

http://www.mastercomposter.com/

http://ladpw.org/epd/sg/

http://vegweb.com/composting/

http://compost.css.cornell.edu/schools.html

You can use an old trash can but you have got to drill some air holes
in it or you'll have a smelly, slimy mess no matter what you put in
it.

In composting, smaller pieces of anything decompose faster than
larger ones so cutting up your material will hasten the process.
Material needs to be damp but not soggy. The only things you should
avoid are meat products tho' stuff like cheese in a small bin could
give you some issues.

Turning is important. You can use any kind of prunings but keep in
mind that the woodier they are, the longer they'll take to break
down.

Worms are another issue. Worms bins are not the same as regular
compost bins; they need specific conditions. Buying worms to throw
in a regular outdoor compost bin ain't a good use of $$.

You need to do some research here. What you want to do is perfectly
possible but if you want to succeed you need to understand what
you're doing.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

----------
From: Info4Laine@aol.com
Anyway I have a 32 gallon trash can that I want to replace and it
occured to
me that I could use it as a compost bin. I want to sit it outside of
my
backdoor - remember lazy gardener here - and so does it matter which
order I
throw stuff in? I am planning to risk damage to my roses by
deadheading a
little pruning [i know it is late but they are so overgrown] and
assume i can put
the clippings from these roses and other garden items into the trash
can
[which is plastic by the way], along with egg shells and newspaper.
Is it good
enough to just tear the newspaper into strips since I do not have a
shredder?
i need to buy some worms to throw in and i guess a bag of dirt [you
didn't
think i was going to get a shovel out did you?].

so i throw this in the trash can and turn it once in a while right?
ok key
first question - i have half of a watermelon that i did not eat in
time - can
i chop that up and throw it in, or would it be too "wet". is there
any raw
food type that should NOT go into the mix?

thank you,
Ruth