gwl-g - [gwl-g] Newbie & Compost

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Info4Laine@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [gwl-g] Newbie & Compost
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 03:36:39 EDT

Anyway I have a 32 gallon trash can that I want to replace and it occured to me that I could use it as a compost bin.  I want to sit it outside of my backdoor - remember lazy gardener here - and so does it matter which order I throw stuff in?  I am planning to risk damage to my roses by deadheading a little pruning [i know it is late but they are so overgrown] and assume i can put the clippings from these roses and other garden items into the trash can [which is plastic by the way], along with egg shells and newspaper.  Is it good enough to just tear the newspaper into strips since I do not have a shredder?  i need to buy some worms to throw in and i guess a bag of dirt [you didn't think i was going to get a shovel out did you?].

so i throw this in the trash can and turn it once in a while right?  ok key first question - i have half of a watermelon that i did not eat in time - can i chop that up and throw it in, or would it be too "wet".  is there any raw food type that should NOT go into the mix?

thank you,
Ruth