gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] GMO corn in Europe

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Tom Alexander <tom@growingedge.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] GMO corn in Europe
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:44:16 -0800

It is one thing to inform about GMOs and another to stop them. There is a bill in Congress that would wipe out local and state food labeling laws, including GMO labeling passed in California, which if people knew GMOs were in products they wouldn't buy them which would effectively stop them.

It is HR 2235 called the National Uniform Food Safety Labeling Act. Since the GOP controlled Congress owes the big food companies and agribusiness big time this will probably pass. The wording makes it sound like they are concerned for consumers but it really is out to cancel out GMO food labeling passed by the people.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:1:./temp/~c10963lBGQ::

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/other/articles/2006/03/02/ house_mulls_bill_on_food_label_removal/

I like the quote in the boston.com article, "Consumers across the country deserve a single set of science-based food warning requirements, not the confusing patchwork that we have today," said Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn.

Science-based food warning means science that has been done with conclusions in mind of the industry's point of view. We are seeing the effects of that here at Oregon State University where a researcher found that it makes for a healthier forest to leave the burnt and dead longs of a forest fire on the ground to decay and provide nourishment to the new trees rather than logging the dead logs. The timber industry and their back pocket congressional members went into an uproar, threatening the university with no more research money. They held congressional hearings the other day. It is so obvious if a "researcher" doesn't come up with what the industry wants (take your pick which one) they are blackballed, censored and see no more "research" money coming their way. Most "researchers" know which side their bread is buttered and if they want to continue to do "research" will give the industry funding the "research" the conclusions and "science-based" facts they want. Science is like politics in America, a corporate funded buy out; of course in my opinion, shared by a rapidly growing number of others.

Tom Alexander