gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] GWA symposium

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Melanie <melaniev@optonline.net>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] GWA symposium
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:55:41 -0400

Jo Ellen,

No, your bus captain (possibly me) was not joking about the fingerprints. We
were given the handout to read with the strictest of instructions that the
statement MUST be read out loud. The instructions did not come from anybody
in the organization, they came directly from the home owners.

Rather than being insulted, I found it amusing. In truth, I've been on tours
before where a select few exhibited behavior that embarrassed the majority.
In my own garden I greet people as they enter and often give a hand out with
rules on garden etiquette I'd like exhibited, such as not stepping in my
beds. I've had people tromp right over plants to point something out and
even one lady who walked into a garden and sat on the "rustic planted chair"
I had worked so hard on.

If the homeowners felt so strongly about the statement on finger prints and
forehead prints, I'd guess it's something they've experienced in the past.
Then again, personally I would have never chosen that house or "garden" to
tour.

As for hotel related problems, on behalf of the local population I'd like to
apologize to you but doubt it is something that is "stereotypical" to our
area. I've seen serious hotel glitches everywhere in this country and dealt
with many staff that were no more knowledgeable or friendly than New
Yorkers. Oops, of course I could be reading your mail completely wrong and
you might just be stereotyping all hotel employees, perhaps there is more on
your plate than I realized :-)

Tongue in cheek,
Melanie Vassallo