grhits - [grhits] SubAwards Database

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "William Lester" <WLester AT engenderhealth.org>
  • To: <apvofm AT lists.projectspaces.com>, <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] SubAwards Database
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:04:56 -0400

Greetings from New York City!

A while back, I posted a note to the list asking about a basic subawards database application:

Has anyone developed a basic web-based resource for providing data about subawards, so that folks in the field as well as folks in headquarters can see what’s going on? I’m talking about something that would list the name of the subaward, the amount, the country, the contact information, and any important dates that would require action – basic information.

I promised I would share the results with list. Lots of kind folks responded. Here’s what I learned:

  • No one seems to know of a basic, off-the-shelf, web-based application for managing subawards.
  • The real need seems to be for something that allows for field office access.
  • Several organizations use modules that are part of their accounting system. These are expensive, heavy-duty applications designed for tracking day-to-day financial information. Some of the financial systems mentioned were Deltek, Great Plains, and Serenic Navigator.
  • A few organizations have built applications using Access. These are not web-enabled.
  • Two organizations have created in-house web-based subaward applications, one developed in dotNET technology for Sharepoint, and one developed using QuickBase, a third-party database tool by Intuit.

That’s it. It you have specific questions or comments, please feel free to contact me offline.

Bill Lester

William (Bill) Lester
EngenderHealth
Chief Information Officer
EngenderHealth | 440 Ninth Avenue | New York City | 10001 | US
email:
wlester AT engenderhealth.org | phone: +1.212.561.8002 | web: http:\\www.engenderhealth.org
There are 10 types of people in the world:
those who can read binary numbers and those who can't.

  • [grhits] SubAwards Database, William Lester, 08/20/2007