grhits - [grhits] Global Health Affinity group at NTEN

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "Jojo Almario" <jalmario AT intrahealth.org>
  • To: <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [grhits] Global Health Affinity group at NTEN
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:35:38 -0400

Hi y’all

I have just established an affinity group on the NTEN website called Global Health Affinity group.  It is pretty much a forum like this mailing list for sharing ideas and helping fellow tech people out with the issues we deal with day to day in supporting global health care.  I don’t mean for this to replace the GRHITS list because it is already an established resource and I don’t want to introduce a redundancy to how we are sharing with each other on this list and have some information lost.  I basically want to have our presence at NTEN so anyone we haven’t reached on the list can become a part of our knowledge sharing.  I have seen other organizations use the NTEN resources and conferences to connect with similar and dissimilar organizations, yet still share knowledge on a level that is easily digested.

I also noticed that at this past NTEN conference there were fewer organizations that dealt with technology and health care on a global scale or in the areas that all of us deal with (3rd world countries).  I think this is a shame because the conferences are a perfect place to meet each and actually sit down and talk in depth about some of the issues that have bounced around this list.  We not only deal with day to day technology related problems, but in an environment  that have low bandwidth,  are politically hampered andface language, and culture barriers.  I also believe that a lot of the organizations that do make it out to the conferences can learn from our sometimes unorthodox strategies and tactics.

Or maybe this is just the first step in getting all of you to the conferences because they are a great excuse to party and eat good food! Either way the conferences are good informal way to connect us all together than just through email.  I think NTEN is a great way to extend the knowledge we share here on a larger stage.

I invite all of you to join the Global Health Affinity group here.  http://groups.nten.org/group.htm?mode=home&igid=48817   The site also has tools for blogging and other groups you may be interested in.  Please give this opportunity consideration.  I have learned a lot from everyone on this list  and I know many more people can benefit from your shared knowledge.

Jojo Almario

Systems Admin

Intrahealth International

  • [grhits] Global Health Affinity group at NTEN, Jojo Almario, 04/26/2007