grhits - Re: [grhits] Ethiopia Internet options

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: Stan Mullen <smullen AT pathfind.org>
  • To: 'Global Reproductive Health IT Support list' <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] Ethiopia Internet options
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:31:42 -0400

Dear Bill,

Yes, it was also good seeing you yesterday albeit briefly. At present, we aren’t experiencing any problems moving email to and from Ethiopia. But, I will definitely look into it next week.  Answering your question as to why would the government would want to block ports, it is usually revenue based. About three years ago in our Kenya facility, the government decided that it was losing significant revenue because people were using voip rather than cell or land lines. Thus, they decided to block voip ports and I believe also blocked port 1723 (pptp) which caused our mail to stop. Only after one week and a lot of pressure in country, they opened the ports back up.   I will certainly let you know what I discover.

Best,

Stan

Stan Mullen

Director, Technology Services