grhits - Re: [grhits] Questions regarding rolling out SharePoint platform

grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global Reproductive Health IT Support list

  • From: "William Lester" <wlester AT engenderhealth.org>
  • To: <jbluestone AT jhpiego.net>, <grhits AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [grhits] Questions regarding rolling out SharePoint platform
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:10:55 -0400

Julia,

While I can't address your specific issues around SharePoint, I can discuss
our approach about training staff in the effective use of knowledge
management resources, like portals, intranets, search engines, etc.

Here at EngenderHealth, we have developed a specific job function that allows
us to train our staff, our partners, and our clients in all sorts of
skills-building areas. The trainer is called an "iRider" and we call the
methodology "iRiding". Here's a definition of an iRider (a bit dated, but
you'll get the idea):

An iRider or information rider is a program or operations person with one or
more areas of expertise. S/he has experience in the effective use of
information and communication technology tools and can train others to use
these same tools appropriately and effectively. An iRider acts as "problem
solver" and does the following:

· works with a client to identify knowledge and information needs

· evaluates the best tool(s) to serve those needs

· proposes an implementation plan which includes expected outcome, means of
verification, and an evaluation process

· trains the client in the use of the tool(s)

This is a long term commitment which provides in-depth help to the
organization, improves staff skills, and builds capacity and sustainability.

Think of an iRider as an "internal consultant" who uses the best practices of
consultants to help their "clients". With the help of the Institute for
Nonprofit Consulting (INC), we have developed an iRider Training Curriculum.
We have trained staff (both HQ and field) as iRiders, and they are the ones
who coach, mentor, train, help our staff/partners/clients in all sorts of
things. We have an iRider job description, and compensate the employee for
the additional tasks they perform as iRiders. Most of are iRiders spend about
5 - 15% of their time as iRiders, and the rest doing their regular work. It's
a very effective intervention, and the results seem to "stick".

I'm happy to share more information about this approach. Feel free to contact
me directly. Hope this information helps.

Bill Lester

--------------------------

William A. Lester
Chief Information Officer
EngenderHealth
440 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
(Office) 212.561.8002
(e-Mail) walester AT engenderhealth.org
(URL) www.engenderhealth.org
"If you torture data long enough, it will confess to anything."

>>> jbluestone AT jhpiego.net 9/13/2006 11:39 AM >>>

Hi Everyone,

Some of your people have been talking with ours, and I'd love to ask
some specific questions to Intrah re: the new CAPACITY portal. Here we
go:

1. Can you share with us some lessons learned regarding training your
staff in use of this platform to share knowledge?

2. Can you share with us some lessons learned regarding how you've
handled uploading documents/materials? In other words, do you have a few
people who do it? Did you train everyone to do so? Would you share any
criteria you developed regarding what is and isn't uploaded?

That's it for now, I'm sure more questions will follow. Thanks.

Julia Bluestone, CNM, MS
Sr. Quality and Training Advisor
410-537-1814