gmark - [GMark] Jesus' sacrifice vs. the High Priest

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Vince Endris" <vince_endris AT hotmail.com>
  • To: gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [GMark] Jesus' sacrifice vs. the High Priest
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:30:32 -0400

GMark list,

I have recently been reading on the second temple and cult. It seems that there was a widespread dislike of the priests - that they were no longer legitimate and, as with the DDS, that they were profaning the temple. This might have been the historical Jesus' reason for overturning the tables (Sanders). It struck me that Mark having the vale tear (I am assuming he meant the inner vale) might be suggesting that the atoning sacrifice offered by the high priest was not sufficient but Jesus' was. This might account for the popularity of nascent Christianity. Is this a valid argument for what Mark is trying to say? Do you know of anywhere else I might look for evidence of this interpretation?

Vince Endris