gmark - Re: [GMark] Editing of Mark by Luke

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "J. Ted Blakley" <jtedblakley AT gmail.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Editing of Mark by Luke
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:21:01 +0100

Sorry about the previous truncated message. I accidentally sent it while I was composing. Here is the completed message.

Kenneth,
    I am not familiar with this theory of the editing of Mark at the
hand of Luke, and I get the impression from your post that there are
probably a number of features of Mark, besides those you cite, that
are used in support of the theory. So my comments below would likely
not challenge the theory but only some of the evidence used in
support. Specifically, I was struck by the argument regarding the
presence of Peter's name in 16:7.

You write:
>           Another possible indicator of editing is the curious mention of
> "Peter" in 16:7, in which the young man in the tomb says, "But go say to his
> disciples and to Peter that . . ."  Since the disciples include Peter, it is
> superfluous to mention him.  But to conjecture that some other name has been
> replaced by "Peter" is reasonable.

First of all, I am wary of the logic of an argument that identifies an element in a writing, esp. an ancient writing, as superfluous and upon that basis proceeds to amend the text. I don't see how a redundant or superfluous element warrants emendation. I imagine that when people speak and write that they are "guilty" of superfluousness quite a bit of the time and for a variety of reasons. Consequently, if one wishes to take a text like Mark and argue for an emendation (let alone one without any manuscript support as far as I can see) then one would have at least to address other possible causes of such superfluousness and either rule them out or demonstrate why an emendation makes more sense of the data.

And this leads to my second point, namely, that Mark is filled with so-called redundant, superflous elements from beginning to end. In fact, Markan redundancies have been recognized for a long time as a characteristic feature of Markan style. Some attribute such repetitiveness to Mark's oral/aural qualities (Dewey, Malbon), which I think is part of the explanation. I refer to these repetitive elements as so-called redundancies because in Mark these repetitive elements have been studied and in the work of someone like Frans Neirynck (Duality in Mark) have been shown to be more than mere repetition, but in fact are two-step progressions where the second element specifies something in the first element and often highlights something important to the story. One of the classic examples is Mark 1:32 which begins, "When it became evening, when the sun had set, they brought to him all those who were sick and demon possessed." The dual-time _expression_ at one time was thought to be redundant (read unnecessary). Neirynck points out, however, that the second element doesn't simply repeat the first, it is in fact more precise, and there seems to be a point to this precision. "When the sun had set" points to the fact that the sabbath is over, which then allows people to travel to where Jesus is staying. There are many, many more examples of this that one could point to in Mark.
     So now when I come across Mark 16:7, I don't see a redundancy. I see a repetitive element that suggests the possibility of a two-step progresssion, and I now ask why is Peter being singled out? (Incidentally, I think that this two-step progression is one of the ways Mark guides the reader. You as a reader, for example, see that the naming of Peter is unnecessary given that he is one of the disciples. So we both see the same thing and see a need to explain it.) Anyway, I ask, why is Peter being singled out? And suddenly a number of attractive possibilities come to mind. Most recently Peter was the main character of an episode in which he denied Jesus even though he had declared he never would. Midway through the gospel, when Jesus asks the disciples who they think he is, Peter declares him the Christ and then quickly proceeds to rebuke him when Jesus speaks about his humiliation, death, and resurrection. Peter is also singled out during the transfiguration, and of course, he is the first disciple to ever to be called by Jesus and so this reference to Peter here at the end makes a nice inclusio of sorts. (And all of this is not to mention the times in which Peter heads lists of disciples be they lists of 12, 4, or 3).

     So it seems to me that this mention of Peter not only fits Mark's style of employing dual expressions but also fits a narrative in which Peter plays a significant role. And so there seems to be no warrant whatsoever even to suggest the need to emend the narrative at this point, let alone with names of figures who did not figure in the narrative at all (Cephas) or who were only mentioned in passing and were not one of the disciples (James, Symeon).

Sincerely,
Ted

J. Ted Blakley
Ph.D. Candidate • Biblical Studies (The Gospel of Mark)
University of St Andrews, Scotland
jtb1 AT st-andrews.ac.uk
Online CV: www.blakleycreative.com/jtb
Hebrew 2 Hub:  www.blakleycreative.com/jtb/Hebrew.htm